Just as Coast Guard Mutual Assistance (CGMA) assists Coast Guard members, Army Emergency Relief (AER), Navy Marine Corps Relief Society (NMCRS), and the Air Force Aid Society (AFAS) provide similar services to their respective branches of the military. The four Military Aid societies (MAS) have agreements in place to help each other's eligible service personnel and their family members when they are unable to apply to their own society for help.
Coast Guard service personnel and their eligible family members may request emergency assistance from these aid societies when they are not close to a CGMA Representative site. (For example, CGMA does not have any locations in Colorado, but the AFAS has several locations in the area.) Coast Guard service personnel may also contact the American Red Cross (ARC) for emergency assistance when they are not able to apply to Coast Guard Mutual Assistance or one of the other Military Aid Society offices.
MAS locations can be found on the following websites:
When a member from another branch of the service contacts CGMA for assistance
- Make a photocopy of the service member's ID card
- Have the client complete a CGMA Application for Assistance (CGMA Form 5)
- Verify the circumstances of the request (via bills, invoices, quotations, etc.)
- Contact the service member's parent MAS headquarters for approval or disapproval of the request. (See chapter 4-E-5 of the CGMA manual for contact information.)
A Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) among the four societies provides for blanket authority to provide assistance for emergency travel or to avoid immediate privation to certain active duty personnel only. Under the MOA, Representatives may provide assistance without advance authorization from the service personnel's parent aid society. (See chapter 4-E of the CGMA manual for guidance) Even when a loan is given under the blanket authority, you must contact the appropriate aid society headquarters by the next business day to provide them with the loan information.
After assistance has been approved by the parent MAS, process the request using the CGMA-CMP just as you would for a CGMA client, with the following exceptions:
- Use the correct Branch of Service code
- Use the appropriate code (initials) for the aid society as Final Approval Authority
- Enter the name of the person who approved the assistance along with any control number provided in the Remarks block
- Make sure the client understands that the loan is being made by their aid society and that they will be expected to repay their aid society, not CGMA
- If a grant has been approved, process it the same as a loan. Be sure to note in the Remarks block that a grant was approved
Once assistance is provided, scan and email the following documentation to CGMA-HQ:
- A copy of the completed CGMA Application for Assistance (CGMA Form 5)
- A photocopy of the service member's ID card
CGMA-HQ will use the information provided to request reimbursement from the appropriate military aid society.
Additional information can be found under Chapter of the CGMA Manual.
You give valuable time to assist CGMA clients and it is much appreciated!
Please let CGMA-HQ know (703) 875-0404 or toll free (800) 881-2462 or email: ARL-DG-CGMA@uscg.mil if there is any way we can support your efforts as you serve your shipmates through CGMA.