Get Help

We aim to help you with everyday essentials, covering emergencies, housing, education, medical, and other financial needs during your times of need.


of assistance has been disbursed to our Coast Guard community.


Almost everyone associated with the U.S. Coast Guard is eligible to request assistance. Many programs can be used for spouses and children of the member.
We serve:

What assistance is available

We provide interest-free loans, grants, counseling, referrals, and other help. Our assistance programs focus on situations requiring immediate attention for essentials and solving temporary problems.


Where to go for assistance

Start with your local CGMA Representative

Your local CGMA Representative is the best person to contact when you need assistance. However, if you are away from home, you may receive emergency assistance from any CGMA Representative.


How to Apply

  • Find the assistance program for a specific list of forms and supporting documents needed.
  • Contact your local CGMA Representative to start the process.
  • Once your application is approved, you will receive funds via Zelle or by check.

Command Endorsement

Coast Guard senior leadership believes that using resources like CGMA is a positive sign of your financial resiliency. CGMA wants commands to know when members are in financial trouble, not to criticize them, but to ensure that they are getting the help they need.

Check your application form to see if the program requires a command endorsement. No endorsement is needed for disaster assistance, education programs, special needs grants, and others.

Quick Loan

Active Duty, reserve, and civilian employees can use the Quick Loan process for loans of $1,500 or less.

  • There must be a documented need that falls under an existing program.
  • The member can’t have a loan balance or be in administrative hold status with CGMA.
  • A member can only get two Quick Loans in any 12-month period.
  • No command endorsement or budget form is necessary.

Gather these documents:

Contact your CGMA Representative to process the loan.

What Can't CGMA Cover?

CGMA assistance is not normally authorized for:

  • Long-term, continuing, or frequent assistance
  • Legal fees
  • Personal credit card balances
  • Taxes
  • Gambling debts
  • Business ventures
  • Marriage or divorce costs
  • Vacations
  • Non-emergency furnishings or cars
  • Disciplinary costs
  • Any costs related to a second home or rental property
  • Personal, unspecified loans

Are Family Members Eligible?

Family members get their eligibility from the member (Active Duty, auxiliary, civilian employee, reserve, or retired). PHS officers, chaplains, and surviving spouses are also considered members. Eligibility is usually limited to dependents.

Usually, the member must sign the CGMA assistance application. When the member is not available, the spouse may apply if they have a power-of-attorney or CGMA pre-authorization form.

How Do I Pay My Loan?

You will sign a promissory note agreeing to the loan terms. Loans are usually set for repayment within 12-36 months. Repayment should not go past expiration of enlistment (EOE).

Active Duty personnel, retired members, and civilian employees repay by allotment from their Coast Guard pay. Reservists, auxiliary members, and clients who have left the Coast Guard may pay monthly via Zelle, their bank’s bill pay, or a check.

To find out your account balance or pay off your loan early, please call 703-595-5930 or email

Military Aid Societies

CGMA has agreements with the American Red Cross, the Air Force Aid Society, the Army Emergency Relief, and the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society.

Coast Guard military members may receive emergency assistance from these organizations when CGMA is not available, and CGMA will provide assistance to their members when their aid society is not available.

In all cases, the aid society for the member’s branch must approve the assistance.

How Can I Appeal?

If you believe you have been wrongfully denied CGMA assistance, you have the right to appeal. Appeals must be in writing and should include an explanation of the request and any supporting documentation. Email to start the process.

Be the first to know

Sign up for the CGMA newsletter to get exclusive updates on how we help the Coast Guard community.


Loading Locator Software...