In the event of a federal government shutdown, CGMA is ready to help the Coast Guard community.
CGMA will offer interest-free loans to help cover high price tag expenses like rent, insurance, or daycare that local support networks are not equipped to provide. Coast Guard military and civilian employees can borrow up to the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) Assistance. If the shutdown continues, members can apply again once a month.
CGMA is steadfast in its commitment to help, but its resources are limited. CGMA depends on allotments, both contributions and loan repayments, that it doesn't receive during a shutdown. Click Donate above to support the Coast Guard working without pay.
Type of Assistance
Start with Your CGMA Rep
Start with your local CGMA Representative
There are more than 600 Coast Guard Mutual Assistance Representatives to help you.FIND MY REPRESENTATIVE
How to Apply
Married personnel about to deploy should leave a completed CGMA-16 Pre-Authorization Form with their spouse.
Gather these documents:
- Your Coast Guard ID
- CGMA-05 General Assistance Application
Contact your CGMA Representative to start the process.
The quickest way to get funds is by Zelle, so find out if your bank supports it.
- Eligibility starts when you have missed a pay period. You may reapply once a month.
- CGMA loans are interest-free.
- Loans will be for one month’s Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) based on the military member’s paygrade and region.
- GS civilian employees will receive E-7 BAH.
- Non-Appropriated Fund and Wage Grade (NAF/WG) employees will receive E-5 military BAH.
- Members married to members are both eligible for loans.
- CG Academy cadets will receive their typical monthly stipend.
- Loans will be repaid by allotment within 2 months of reinstatement of regular pay following the lapse.
- Members expected to be Released From Active Duty (RELAD) within 30 days or those with discharge proceedings underway are not eligible.
Other CGMA Programs
During a shutdown, CGMA prioritizes all programs to ensure the swift processing of shutdown loan requests.
- CGMA will process emergency situations including, emergency travel, Safe Harbor, and Respite Care Programs as normal.
- CGMA will consider requests for storm assistance, vehicle repairs, rental and PCS assistance only if the situation is urgent and cannot wait until the conclusion of the shutdown period. Application must include a clear statement of the consequences if the loan is not made before the conclusion of the lapse period.
- The following programs are suspended: Adoption, Assisted Reproductive Services, Breast Milk Shipments, Childcare, Closing Costs, Debt Management, Education Loans/Grants, Special Needs Grant.
- Contact your bank and creditors to see what help they are offering to personnel affected by the shutdown.
- CG SUPRT is also available to help at 1-855-247-8778 or www.cgsuprt.com.
Types of Assistance
Supplemental Education Grant (SEG)
One great way to make your family more financially resilient is to invest in your own education. CGMA’s Supplemental Education Grant (SEG) can help cover some of the costs of higher education that Coast Guard Tuition Assistance or similar programs might not. You can use this money for yourself, your spouse, or your dependent children […]
College costs are a challenge, whether for yourself, your spouse, or your children. CGMA members can borrow up to $6,000 for higher education expenses.
Education Advocate Grant
Many families struggle with federally mandated paperwork for special needs services. It can be even harder for Coast Guard families as they move so frequently. This grant offers reimbursement for costs of hiring a certified Education Advocate to help with the process.
CG COOL Loan
We know money worries can stand in the way of your career dreams. That’s why we offer an interest-free loan up to $4,500 for your CG COOL credentialing needs, covering essentials like training and exam fees. Through the CG Credentialing Opportunities On-Line (CG COOL) program, eligible members can access information on a wide range of […]
Stafford/PLUS Loan Fee Grant
Many families finance higher education through the Federal Stafford Loan or Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS). CGMA makes the process easier by offering a grant to reimburse you for the mandatory loan fee, which can be up to 4%.
Spouse Professional Requirements Loan
It’s not easy being a Coast Guard spouse. It can be a challenge to find a new job in a new location, especially if there are state-specific certifications, credentials, or licenses involved. CGMA is here to help meet the requirements in your new state.
Debt Management Loan
CGMA supports its members as they work on their financial resilience. The Debt Management Loan helps create the minimum financial condition to allow the client to live frugally while paying off debts responsibly.
Financial Counseling Grant
Education and budgeting can make all the difference in your financial situation. If a member is unable to use financial counseling from Coast Guard sources, CGMA will pay for services from a member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC).
Financial Education Childcare Grant
You can make a real difference in your financial situation through financial education and counseling. It works best if spouses attend together. CGMA makes it a little bit easier by providing for childcare.